From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Cell phone as modem
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:09:49
1 On 2007-12-02, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>> Nice, I'm very glad to hear it works so well. I guess
4 >>> something like that would work even over an analog connection.
5 >>
6 >> On a true analog (800MHz AMPS service) cell phone, I've had
7 >> pretty decent success using MNP5 modems up to about 2400 baud.
8 >> The standard CCITT error dectection/correction schemes used on
9 >> landline modems isn't resilient enough for RF links. Good luck
10 >> finding MNP5 analog modems. ;) Multitech in St. Paul was the
11 >> last vendor I knew about that sold them, and that was 10+
12 >> years ago.
13 >>
14 >> If you're talking about an analog connection to a digital
15 >> phone, it just won't work. The Codecs that digital phones use
16 >> are optimized for human speech and won't pass QPSK (or even
17 >> FSK) modem signals in a usable manner.
18 >
19 > What I meant there was that I should be able to dial up in
20 > this manner even if the signal is reported to be analog
21 > instead of digital. Is that true?
22
23 I still don't understand what you're asking. Unless you're
24 800MHz AMPS service, it's all digital. There is no analog
25 signalling on the network.
26
27 If you're using an 800MHz AMPS service, then the "voice"
28 channel is an analog FM link band-limited to 300-3KHz with C
29 message weighting (just like a landline phone connection). You
30 can push an analog modem signal through that voice channel, but
31 the channel quality varies a lot and you need a really
32 bullet-proof error-correction scheme like MNP5.
33
34 > Are you saying it depends on whether or not the phone is
35 > capable of 800MHz AMPS service?
36
37 I guess so. The carriers are going to shut down AMPS service
38 soon anyway.
39
40 >> It's just passing on digital data that's carried by the
41 >> wireless protocol in use (GSM/TDMA or 1xRTT/CDMA). When you
42 >> "dial up a landline" with a digital cell phone, the wireless
43 >> carrier actually has to connect a modem to a landline at the
44 >> carriers switch and dial the number. The digital data from the
45 >> cellphone is then routed to that modem.
46 >>
47 >> If you're using the wireless carrier as the ISP, then there are
48 >> no modems involved at all: the digital data from the modem is
49 >> simply routed onto the Internet.
50 >
51 > I see. So the only ways you know of to get a laptop online
52 > with a cell phone are with a data plan in a digital service
53 > area, or with any Verizon plan in either an analog or digital
54 > service area?
55
56 If you're using analog service, you can use any carrier that
57 allows normal phone calls to access a dial-up modem. You just
58 need a phone with a phone jack into which you can plug an
59 analog modem. Motorol "bag" style phones used to have a
60 accessor that plugged between the handset and the radio which
61 provided a modem jack. I don't think you're going to find too
62 many current phones that provide an analog modem jack.
63
64 Sprint also apparently has a free low-speed Internet access
65 service similar to Verizon's "QNC" service. I don't know if
66 Sprint's free low-speed service allows you dial up a
67 landline-modem or not.
68
69 FWIW, I just plugged my VX4400 into my laptop, and Verizons
70 low-speed QNC service is still working. There are rumors
71 that Verizon is about to pull the plug on QNC, but those rumors
72 have been around for years.
75 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you guys lined up
76 at for the METHADONE PROGRAM
77 visi.com or FOOD STAMPS??
80 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list