From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6.37 : MCE problem
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:46:08
1 110118 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> I've just installed & compiled  gentoo-sources-2.6.37
4 >> & am getting msgs in all my terminals
5 >>  Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
6 >> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type.
7 >> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
8 >> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: Run the message through 'mcelog --ascii' to decode.
9 >> There seems to be no change in config options re MCE since 2.6.33 ,
10 >> the previous kernel, which doesn't suffer from this internal spam.
11 >> My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo.  Everything else seems to be working ok.
12 > No, but this seems possibly relevant:
13 > http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02069
14 > And in the meantime you can perhaps boot with "nomce" kernel
15 > commandline parameter to make it stop trying.
16
17 Yes, that work-around does stop the msgs,
18 but of course it also suppresses the whole MCE process,
19 which is not a good idea in general.
20
21 I've submitted Gentoo bug 352372 .
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca