From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:29:59
1 On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:26:48 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > Just in case anyone wonders where the multiplier "1.6" comes from:
4 >
5 > There had been a discussion somewhere (I forgot where exactly, sorry)
6 > about load numbers. The final conclusion was that the ideal load number
7 > for today's processors is 2*N, because with the out-of-order capability
8 > of modern processors, two instructions can overlap in the pipeline, even
9 > without hyperthreading.
10
11 Is N the number of physical cores, or does it include hyperthreaded cores
12 too?
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.