From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo list stats?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 13:47:12
1 On Thursday 03 September 2009 17:59:57 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I'm wondering whether these stats are correct? They are captured
4 > from this page:
5 >
6 > http://archives.gentoo.org/
7 >
8 > If these stats are both correct and complete then I find them
9 > interesting, and maybe a bit disappointing. If they are incorrect then
10 > nothing below matters.
11 >
12 > Not meaning to cause too much of a hubbub but I was surprised at
13 > how much email traffic has fallen off for the Gentoo lists over the
14 > last couple of years. I suspect that some of this is folks moving to
15 > less technical environments - maybe Ubuntu or Arch - but still I was
16 > surprised that it was something like a 60% drop since the high in
17 > 2006. I was also surprised at the drop off on gentoo-dev as it sort of
18 > correlates with my impression of bugs not being addressed as fast
19 > these days.
20
21 In a lot of ways, distros are like fashion statements, complete with current
22 flavours of the week. 3 years ago Gentoo was on a high but a lot of those
23 fanboys have gone elsewhere or maybe to the forums. Personally, I don't care.
24
25 I perceive that there has always been about the same amount of good quality
26 mail on this list. 3 years ago we had about what we have now plus a whole
27 bunch of help-me-pleeeeeeez! whingers and way too much flaming. We really need
28 the first category - it's what makes this the best list I'm subscribed to -
29 and are better of without the other two.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com