From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new printer : any thoughts ?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:29:55
1 from Philip Webb:
2
3 > My ancient printer's ink cartridge has finally dried up
4 & the mobo in my regular computer accepts only USB.
5 I don't do much printing, but occasionally need a few pages.
6
7 The local store has an HP Deskjet 2510 on sale this week.
8
9 Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions ?
10
11 I lean toward Brother from what I hear and from my long-ago experience with
12 Brother AX-26 word-processing daisywheel typewriter.
13
14 My experience with HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP and their technical support is unfavorable.
15
16 Their tech support was offshored to India, and there was much difficulty in being understood, both ways, over the telephone.
17
18 I still haven't succeeded in setting it up.
19
20 Maybe the assumptions about file system structure are Linux-based and cause failure in NetBSD and FreeBSD.
21
22 Or maybe the printer is a turkey.
23
24 This caused me strong aversion to buying anything in the future from HP.
25
26 What other printer brands require a special package such as hplip for Linux and BSD?
27
28 Tom