From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Where be me icons?
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2018 03:56:19
1 =\
2
3 Because each update basically rebuilds the same three or four
4 super-packages (libreoffice, chromium, the kde collection, etc) all of
5 which are version bumped every 12 milliseconds just to annoy ppl like
6 me, and because I had such a Good Time (tm) last SEVERAL times I tried
7 to update, I decided to put it off for six months....
8
9 Well later that day X'doze crashes after an uptime of about 30 days...
10 (So I updated, there were problems but nothing worse than par...)
11
12 Also, I realize that Linux is going to go through a Dark Age and
13 probably be destroyed and re-built several times before emerging again
14 as a usable operating system, I am going to be climbing up from my
15 previous freeze at 4.15 to 4.18 which I will probably have to nurse
16 through 5-6 years of war and upheval...
17
18 (I am currently on 4.16, will try to go to 4.17 at next boot...)
19
20 The biggest problem I have right now is all the button-icons in fvwm
21 have gone poof. =(
22
23 I didn't do anything that portage didn't demand I do... The window
24 manager is really not usable without those icons, I know some of them by
25 memory but a 3x3 matrix of blank buttons is not acceptable.
26
27 The only two window managers available on gentoo, are twm -- which is
28 all you need as an emergency de-fsck tool and fvwm which will do 99% of
29 everything you actually need.
32 Please report bounces from this address to atg@×××××××××.com
33
34 Powers are not rights.