From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAM upgrade, kernel and swap
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:44:59
1 On Montag, 21. Januar 2008, Michael Higgins wrote:
2 > So, I just got 2 GB of RAM in the mail. Whoo hoo.
3 >
4 > Before I pop these in, soliciting any thoughts about the following:
5 >
6 > zcat /proc/config.gz |grep MEM
7 > CONFIG_SHMEM=y
8 > # CONFIG_TINY_SHMEM is not set
9 > # CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
10 > CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
11 > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
12 > CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
13 > CONFIG_SELECT_MEMORY_MODEL=y
14 > CONFIG_FLATMEM_MANUAL=y
15 > # CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM_MANUAL is not set
16 > # CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_MANUAL is not set
17 > CONFIG_FLATMEM=y
18 > CONFIG_FLAT_NODE_MEM_MAP=y
19 > # CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_STATIC is not set
20 > CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y
21 > # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UMEM is not set
22 > # CONFIG_INPUT_FF_MEMLESS is not set
23 > # CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set
24 > CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM=y
27 > Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label]
28 > Size (MB)
29 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
30 >--- hda1 Boot Primary Linux ext2
31 > 256.50 hda2 Primary Linux swap /
32 > Solaris 1024.46 hda3 Primary Linux
33 > ext3 21480.44 hda5 Logical
34 > Linux ReiserFS 28771.84 hda6
35 > Logical Linux ReiserFS 28493.15
36 >
37 > IOW, do I need to/should I recompile my kernel or change partition
38 > sizes?
39
40 if you don't plan to try suspend-to-disk.
41 No
42
43 even if you plan to try suspend-to-disk it might work with a swapfile. So
44 still no.
45 --
46 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list