From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about the dcop utility: How to use it from a remote computeR?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:43:33
1 On Tuesday 26 September 2006 10:50, Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > This is probably partiallay OT, but google didn't help me
4 > much until now.
5 > I'm logged in on my new computer, Machine N. I have setup ssh
6 > to connect by DSA key to my old computer, Machine O. Now i
7 > want to use the dcop program on O to give me a list of all
8 > open konqueror sessions on O. At first I just want to do
9 > something like:
10 > <new machine>:ssh <old machine> '/usr/kde/3.5/bin/dcop'
11 > But I always get "ERROR: Couldn't attach to a DCOP server'"
12 > What gives?
13
14 dcop will only work properly in the same session as the kdeinit
15 that launched it. So, if you start konsole from KDE and run
16 dcop it will work. The ssh session is not attached to kdeinit
17 in any way so won't contact the dcop server.
18
19 I've never had to do what you want to accomplish so I don't have
20 a definitive answer. I'd read the docs for dcop and see if
21 there's an answer there. Alternatively (thinking out the box
22 here), maybe try launch screen from a kde session and attach it
23 to an ssh session...
24
25 alan
26 --