From: Tomas Krasnican <krasko@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysql use flag witout server, using only client libaries
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:05:09
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Set the minimal USE flag for mysql, do not set it globally.
3 > dev-db/mysql:minimal - Install client programs only, no server
4
5 Thanks you! This is what I looking for..
6
7 Peter Humphrey wrote:
8 > As Alan said, installing the server doesn't cost a lot, especially
9 > compared with the personal cost of finding a way to exclude it while
10 > still keeping the client. And as long as you don't add mysqld to any run
11 > level, it doesn't consume any CPU cycles: it just sits there on your
12 > disk being ignored.
13
14 I'd like to doing things minimally, if is it possible. Simply is clever.. But, when is the mysql in the depend part of rc script (for example, when you emerge syslog-ng with mysql enabled flag, that will be puted here automaticly), the running localy database is required for start this service. It is not required to have it rc-enabled the mysql database, because you have already enabled another service, which it requires.. And at this point it could consume some CPU cycles... Yes minimally, thats true.
15
16 So, I don't want to see the running mysql in my proccess list..
19 Regards
20 Tomas Krasnican