From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Real CPU speed
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:43:45
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:31:00 -0700 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > > > How can I determine my current CPU speed? I have a Celeron 700
6 > > > that should be running at 1050 if I insulated one of its pins
7 > > > correctly. All of the information I can find on determining CPU
8 > > > speed is related to mobile speedstep processors and mine is a
9 > > > desktop CPU.
10 > > >
11 > > > - Grant
12 > >
13 > > Hi Grant,
14 > >
15 > > try
16 > >
17 > > cat /proc/cpuinfo
18 > >
19 > > which will give you a hint, what the Linux kernel thinks what you
20 > > CPU is and with which clock it runs.
21
22 Yes, but the kernel will ask the CPU for some of that information.
23
24 > Darn:
25 >
26 > cpu MHz : 697.899
27
28 More interesting is probably the bogomips value, or better: the amount
29 that value has changed. Maybe there's still a trace
30 in /var/log/messages from a bootup before overclocking.
31
32 See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BogoMips for some information about
33 approximate multipliers for determining MHz from that.
34
35 > Will do! Any way you know of to check my front side bus and memory
36 > bus speed?
37
38 Oscilloscope! :-) Maybe your BIOS has monitoring for such values?
39
40 -hwh
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list