From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 07:30:33
1 On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:45:30 PM CET Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 > > On 12/29/2016 08:06 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > >>> I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
6 > >>> Asterisk, Hylafax etc. (nothing graphic intensive).
7 > >>>
8 > >>> - IN WIN BL631 Low Profile Micro ATX Case w/ 300W Power Supply,
9 > >>> - AMD FX-8350 Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache
10 > >>> - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 w/ DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan
11 > >>> - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
12 > >>> - Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA Solid State Drive, 1TB
13 > >>> - Asus GeForce GT 720 Silent CSM, 2GB, PCI-E w/ D-Sub VGA, DVI, HDMI
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Will I have any problems installing Gentoo on this configuration, eg.
16 > >>> with Video Card etc.?
17 > >>> Do I need more RAM?
18 > >>
19 > >> I built a rig a while back and have 16GBs of memory. I also have
20 > >> portage's work directory on tmpfs. There are times when I wish I had
21 > >> more memory. I'm planning to upgrade to 24GBs and eventually, 32GBs.
22 > >> I'm not sure what your board can hold but may want to think about future
23 > >> upgrades. I run KDE here, there are times where I use a lot of memory.
24 > >> I'm using ~8GBs as I type.
25 > >>
26 > >> I've been using a Gigabyte board for a long while. I'm happy with it.
27 > >> I actually still have a 2nd board that I upgraded from. It was a first
28 > >> step to upgrade memory and such. I think I had to change the IOMMU
29 > >> setting in the BIOS. I think that was the name of it. It's something
30 > >> like that. I think I had to add something to the kernel boot line too
31 > >> on that. Let me know if you need it, I'll go dig.
32 > >>
33 > >> One other thing, I have a UPS that shows what amount of power my system
34 > >> is using. It shows ~150 watts. It will jump to ~190 when compiling
35 > >> heavily. You may want to make sure that P/S is well made. I've never
36 > >> used a P/S that came with a case. Generally, they are cheaply made.
37 > >> May want to make sure of that before you use it. Nothing worse than a
38 > >> crappy P/S.
39 > >>
40 > >> Dale
41 > >>
42 > >> :-) :-)
43 > >
44 > > Thank you for the input Dale.
45 > > Yes, Power Supply is a good point. I think I'll change the case and
46 > > select different PS. Any hints as to which brand is good?
47 > >
48 > > I think they are all made in China :-/
49 > >
50 > > Thelma
51 >
52 > On the case, there are tons of brands that are good. Mostly, just pick
53 > one that suites the purpose you need. When I built mine, I wanted one
54 > that would keep everything nice and cool even when compiling LibreO and
55 > some others that compile a while. I got the Cooler Master HAF-932.
56 > It's large tho. Seriously, it's large. It does have some really nice
57 > fans in it tho. Even when compiling for long periods of time, my temps
58 > are no higher than 110F and that would be in the summer when it is a bit
59 > warm in this room. In the winter, it can't even get to 95F or so. My
60 > CPU has a good size cooler. Can't recall the name but the stock one is
61 > in my storage building somewhere. It's tiny. The only downside, it
62 > needs blowing out pretty regular. When the idle temps get up a bit, I
63 > drag out the air tank. Oh, it sits right next to my bed, like 3 feet
64 > away. I've never heard it make a noise, no matter what it is compiling.
65 > The only noise is a slight vibration when the fans first turn on. If
66 > you need a tiny case tho, they make those too. Some small ones even
67 > have decent cooling. Just have to dig around.
68 >
69 > On the power supply, I would look at some reviews. I have a
70 > ThermalTake. It was well rated at the time. The link below tests
71 > power supplies pretty hard. They tough on them but they are pretty fair
72 > on the scoring. If they say it works well, it should work. They put
73 > loads on them that a normal home user likely never would. If it can't
74 > take the loads it claims, they don't have a problem letting the smoke
75 > out. Linky:
76 >
77 > http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=1
78 > 3
81 > The way I do, I try to figure out what amount of power I predict the
82 > system will pull. Then I double or roughly double it. That way I get
83 > some wiggle room for errors or future upgrades plus that initial start
84 > up draw. Figuring that accurately is somewhat hard to do tho. When I
85 > built my current rig, I went way overboard. I think my P/S is like 700
86 > watts or so. As I said, it pulls under 200 watts and that is after
87 > adding some hard drives and more memory to it. I suspect that 300 to
88 > 400 watts will do OK unless you plan to install some power hungry video
89 > card in there later.
90 >
91 > I have a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P board. I try to get as high a UD number as
92 > I can, if they still use those. I have 4 dimms installed and a 4 core
93 > CPU running at ~3.2GHz. I think most all the CPUs pull about the same,
94 > they claim to be 125 Watt or less. So, 4 core or 8 core, shouldn't be
95 > much different, I'd guess. I also have 4 hard drives. Given that info,
96 > you should be able to see what wattage you need. Oh, my video card was
97 > sent to me by a subscriber to this list. He had one he wanted to get
98 > rid of and I posted that I hadn't picked out one yet, and didn't need
99 > bleeding edge or anything fancy. It's a GeForce GT 220 which still
100 > serves me well. I play solitaire and watch TV shows with it.
101 >
102 > That's quite a bit of info but I've built a few of these things from
103 > scratch. No harm telling how I did it and where I made a boo boo. Oh,
104 > my old rig, it was a single core CPU running at 2500MHz and it pulled
105 > about 400 watts. I don't think that included the monitor which was a
106 > 19" CRT power hog. New rig is a flat screen thingy that pulls pretty
107 > much nothing. lol Hopefully all this will either convince you that you
108 > are on the right track or help adjust your track if needed. If things
109 > follow like the past, yours may even pull less than expected, which is
110 > why I think yours is on track power wise.
111 >
112 > Hope all that helps. Maybe someone else will chime in with some more
113 > good info.
114
115 More info:
116
117 I wanted a quiet, but still cool, case as I really don't like to hear it.
118 I ended up with a "Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q". It's not small, but with the
119 standard fans, it's extremely quiet. Only indication it is on is the small
120 power-led on the top and the light from the mouse.
121
122 Power supply: "be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W", again, really quiet and
123 stable.
124
125 Memory: Kingston HyperX 32 GB DDR4-2133 Quad-kit
126
127 CPU-fan: Noctua NH-D15
128
129 I ended up with an Asus mainboard and Intel CPU.
132 Joost
133
134 PS. Picking parts for a new PC is always tricky. I am missing a budget-limit
135 here. Mine probably was a bit higher then the OPs, but I tend to buy them to
136 last 7 years minimum.