From: Digby Tarvin <digbyt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] use of /usr/src/linux symlink
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:11:35
1 On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:59:43AM -0500, Chris Fairles wrote:
2 > Changed my symlink to point to 2.6.12-gentoo-r10, compiling ndiswrapper
3 > 1.5 is using running kernel 2.6.13
4 ..
5 > make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r3'
6 > Building modules, stage 2.
7 > MODPOST
8
9 Oops - seems like even kernel code developers are not all of one mind
10 when it comes to what the convention is regarding the /usr/src/linux
11 sym link.
12
13 I think my preference would be to make the intention more explicit -
14 it a symlink is for use by scripts and makefile then it can be
15 verbose, such as
16 /usr/src/current_buid_kernel
17 which can be accompanied with a separate link to be used a shorthand
18 for the current kernel by human users, such as
19 /usr/src/sys
20 which could be set correctly during boot.
21 (linux would really need to be left as a confusing link for compatability)
22
23 Regards,
24 DigbyT
25 --