From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-admin/mcelog daily cronjob?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 08:49:28
1 On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:39:16 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > Nevertheless, when I look at the http://mcelog.org/ homepage, specified
4 > in the package description, it says:
5 >
6 > Traditionally mcelog was run as a cronjob, but this usage is
7 > deprecated now. The modern way to run it is to start it at
8 > boot up time and run it always as a daemon.
9 >
10 > I tried unmerging app-admin/mcelog and the cron.daily file is removed;
11 > then remerging (the latest stable version - 1.0_pre3_p20130621-r1) and
12 > it's reinstalled with the same permissions.
13 >
14 > So I guess my question is: is this a bug with the app-admin/mcelog
15 > package?
16
17 I don't think so. If the running via cron is possible but deprecated,
18 proving a cron script with execute permissions disabled seems a sensible
19 way of covering both options.
20
21 As mcelog is not critical, why not try unmerging it for a couple of days
22 to see whether the messages disappear?
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 New sig wanted good price paid.