From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ebtables on Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:16:05
1 On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > From here: http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/
7 > We read:
8 > The ebtables tool can be combined with the other Linux filtering tools
9 > (iptables, ip6tables and arptables) to make a bridging firewall that is also
10 > capable of filtering these higher network layers. This is enabled through the
11 > bridge-netfilter architecture which is a part of the standard Linux kernel.
14 > Can someone explain to me when/how you would use ebtables
15 > for enhanced security, or forward me to a good written
16 > presentation on when, why or how to deploy ebtables?
17 > Maybe a package already blends these components together?
18 > I recently saw ebtables pop up in a commercial product
19 > ( sniffed terminal boot session) offered by Seimens......
22 > Of keen interest is documentation/experiences on the
23 > Gentoo platform when using ebtables. Googling has provided little.
26 > curiously,
27 > James
31 iptables and ip6tables operate at the data layer, layer 3.
32
33 ebtables operates at the link layer, layer 2.
34
35 This is really the best explanation I can offer, as I haven't used
36 ebtables myself:
37
38 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg
42 :wq