From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two problems after switching to elogind
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 10:31:09
1 On Wednesday, 15 April 2020 10:27:12 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > After the switch to elogind yesterday, chronyd now won't run. It complains
5 > "Could not get user/group of ntp." I remerged chrony with USE=-ntp, but it
6 > didn't help. I know that several people here use chrony, so what is your
7 > experience?
8
9 chronyd[3542]: chronyd version 3.5 starting (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC -
10 PRIVDROP +SCFILTER -SIGND +ASYNCDNS -SECHASH +IPV6 -DEBUG)
11 chronyd[3542]: Frequency -3.722 +/- 0.134 ppm read from /var/lib/chrony/drift
12 ......
13 chronyd[3542]: Selected source 123.456.78.90
14
15 As you can see mine is running with +NTP and I have no such problem. /usr/
16 sbin/chronyd runs as root, so I don't know why yours complains about ntp user/
17 group.
18
19 # ps axf o user,group,pid,comm | grep chrony
20 root root 3542 chronyd
23 > Secondly, this morning when I started firefox to listen to BBC Radio 3, as
24 > usual, I had no sound. Then I remembered that alsa-utils was unmerged during
25 > the switch to elogind yesterday, so I remerged it and ran alsamixer to
26 > unmute the master. Still no sound.
27
28 I suspect this is not an alsa or Firefox problem. I have alsa-utils installed
29 and did not have to reinstall it. However, I've been running with elogind
30 instead of consolekit for a while now.
31
32 Have a quick look here for some basic steps to check consolekit is removed and
33 elogind is setup/switched to properly:
34
35 https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=157293590710722&w=2