From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:36:02
1 On 2010-11-16, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 >> spinrite claims to make the head do other things than what the drive
4 >> firmware makes it do.
5
6 I'm afraid I'll have to call bullshit on that. I don't see how some
7 bit of PC software can make a drive head move. The firmware on the
8 drive controller board is the only thing that can make the head move.
9 Does spinrite claim they _replace_ the drive firmware with their own
10 custom version?
11
12 Where does Spinrite's claim they can do override drive firmware?
13
14 I don't see any claims like that on their web site?
15
16 >> Meaning that spinrite can extract data that the drive itself in
17 >> normal conditions cannot. This reasoning is sound.
18
19 I've no problem with the reasoning. I, however, don't accept the
20 premise.
21
22 > True, provided it actually knows HOW to override the firmware on all
23 > drives currently in use...
24
25 I doubt that it can.
26
27 >> Remember that a drive is an analogue device, not a digital one (only
28 >> the *output data* is digital).
29 >
30 > Ofcourse, but is the head actually sensitive enough to be able to
31 > cooperate with this? Professional data recovery companies actually
32 > take out the platters and use their own drive-heads to get the data
33 > out.
34 >
35 >> There is some doubt as to whether spinrite can even function in this
36 >> wise with modern drives though.
37 >
38 > Yes, and that's exactly my point. Something that overrides the drives
39 > firmware can, in my view, easily brick the drive.
40
41 If spinrite is replacing the drive's firmware, then in theory they
42 might be able to do something "extra", but I'd say the odds of them
43 being able to reverse-engineer enough the drives out there enough to do
44 their own custom firmware for all of a significant number of them is
45 pretty close to 0.
46
47 Besides, their web site explicitly states that they can't do low level
48 formatting, they run under DOS, and that they can only use drives that
49 are recogized by the mothoerboard BIOS. AFAICT, they're just using
50 the normal IDE/ATA API and are doing nothing extraordinary.
54 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Hey, wait
55 at a minute!! I want a
56 gmail.com divorce!! ... you're not
57 Clint Eastwood!!