From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TWO (probably stupid) questions about partitions
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:25:25
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:09:38 +0000, Fernando Meira wrote:
2
3 > Now I want to clean hda1 (which has windows) and mount there /usr and
4 > point $PORTAGE_TMPDIR there (because my gentoo system, in hda4, run out
5 > of space). Once I'm doing this, I could split that partition into
6 > smaller ones (e.g. to create /boot), but hda1 needs to be Extended. So,
7 >
8 > 1. Can /boot be inside an Extended partition? Would probably be place
9 > in hda6...
10
11 Yes it can. I never have any primary partitions on x86/amd64 boxes,
12 so /boot is always on /dev/hda5.
13
14 > 2. In case of not changing my boot config (my doing Q1), will I need to
15 > re-install my bootloader in MBR anew? Or on other words, will MBR be
16 > erased when cleaning hda1?
17
18 No, the MBR is separate from any partition tables. that's why hda1 starts
19 on block 1, the MBR is on block 0.
20
21 > Question extra :) : what tends to be bigger /etc or /usr ?
22
23 /usr, by a long way. But the question is largely irrelevant, you cannot
24 put /etc on a separate partition. How would you mount it?
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Earlier, I didn't have time to finish anything. This time I w