From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:33:49
1 Ühel kenal päeval, K, 19.09.2018 kell 08:58, kirjutas David Haller:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, Andrew Udvare wrote:
5 > > Curiosity: what is the reason for wxGTK:3.0 and wxGTK:3.0-gtk3 ?
6 >
7 > wxGTK:3.0 uses gtk+-2 and wxGTK:3.0-gtk3 uses gtk+-3.
8
9 That, and we couldn't do it with just flipping it to gtk3 in 3.0 SLOT,
10 because some wxWidgets apps could be doing conditional direct GTK+ code
11 as well, to go above the lowest common denominator toolkit support that
12 wxWidgets provides. Or some might just be wrongly linking directly to
13 gtk2 explicitly. Or had too much trouble with gtk3 in the less used
14 parts of wxGTK while wxGTK gtk3 support hadn't quite matured yet.
15 You can't have a program load in (link to) both gtk2 and gtk3 - it will
16 abort to not go completely runtime crazy and crash due to same function
17 names. Kind of like wxWidgets itself aborts if the library and app are
18 using different C++ ABI (however that's less of a problem with todays
19 relevant C++ ABI updates, unlike the gcc4 to 5 days).
20 Therefore it was just a separate parallel installable SLOT with which
21 we could move things over gradually and have the more maintained apps
22 benefit before everything is working with it.
25 Mart