From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 01:02:02
1 walt wrote:
2 > About three years ago I spent a lot of time on the grub2 mailing list,
3 > building grub2 from their svn repo, even submitting a patch or two to
4 > get it working for the *BSD family.
5 >
6 > Then I got old and tired and I settled on gentoo. I deleted all the
7 > other OS's from my machines, including (especially) Windows -- so I no
8 > longer need to multiboot five different OS's -- and so I lost interest
9 > in the sexy new features of grub2.
10 >
11 > Lately, though, I've been using multiple USB sticks, and having them
12 > plugged in at boot-time can confuse legacy grub into booting from the
13 > wrong disk, i.e. not booting at all. Very annoying.
14 >
15 > So, I installed grub-1.98 and I've found that it *does* find partitions
16 > by UUID, and even by LABEL, amongst multiple disks. Very nifty.
17 >
18 > Not so fast, though. I don't know how to write a grub.conf file that
19 > can tell grub2 how to do that automatically so I don't need to type
20 > commands at the interactive grub2 command prompt.
21 >
22 > That's where you testosterone-pumped youngsters (Dale? Volker? Alan?
23 > Neil? Anyone?) can help fix this basically silly problem.
24 >
25 > grub2 is enough different from legacy grub to make the learning curve
26 > very steep -- but I'm only about half-way up the curve and I'm fading
27 > fast. (I usually unplug the offending USB stick and reboot :)
28 >
29 > If anyone here is interested enough to spend some real time and effort
30 > on grub2, I can offer a few pointers, but I'm not willing to do the real
31 > grunt work myself.
32 >
33 > Hm, sunset. Off to bed :)
37 I have not tried grub2 yet but I did fine these:
38
39 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
40
41 That has a lot of info on the grub2 conf file. It is called grub.cfg if
42 I read that correctly. There is a lot of info there. Seems a bit
43 complicated since I don't have it installed and can really follow what
44 they mean on things. This next one is a bit more basic tho:
45
46 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2
47
48 This one seems to have a example and not quite so complicated.
49
50 http://grub.enbug.org/grub.cfg
51
52 Does those help any?