From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:59:27
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 >> On Monday 29 Dec 2014 02:25:04 lee wrote:
4 >> I tried out the latest Gentoo live DVD ... and I was surprised that the
5 >> software it comes with is so old. Libreoffice 3.x? Seamonkey a couple
6 >> versions behind?
7 >>
8 >> Is the software going to be more recent when I actually install?
9 >
10 > During installation you will run 'emerge --sync' which will update portage
11 > with the latest and greatest for each package ebuild. Then 'emerge --update
12 > --newuse --deep --ask world' will install the latest version of any package
13 > you may have installed, or install thereafter in your system (like
14 > libreoffice, etc.)
15
16 That's what I thought ... I tried 'emerge --sync' or so with the live
17 system, and it seemed to receive lots of updates.
18
19 But why use old software for a recent live DVD?
23 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
24 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.