From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] character confusion
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:21:30
1 Hello,
2 Here's a small config/usage question I've never managed to get
3 worked out in my brain. Why does Nautilus see a file name 'correctly'
4 while ls in a terminal does not?
5
6 Here's what I see in a terminal:
7
8 03 - Act I: Scene Two: II. Strange D??j?? Vu.ogg
9
10 Here's what I see in Nautilus:
11
12 03 - Act I: Scene Two: II. Strange Déjà Vu.ogg
13
14 Is this just the nature of terminals or is there some config item I
15 should be doing differently?
16
17 I'm almost sure that both are 'correct' but being displayed
18 differently, correct? the accented characters are really two bytes?
19
20 One program that built a small database from the directory built this:
21
22 03 - Act I: Scene Two: II. Strange D&#xE9;j&#xE0; Vu.ogg
23
24 which I really do not understand!
25
26 The real issue here is some programs find the music while others do
27 not which causes problems. I've fixed it in the past by removing
28 accent characters by hand but I'd rather not if possible.
29
30 Thanks,
31 Mark
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list