From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading (profiles, too)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 01:05:08
1 On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 8:41 AM <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > > Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2019 um 00:20 Uhr
4 > > Von: "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
5 > > I've done upgrades that skip quite a ways using make oldconfig. I've
6 > > never had any issues. If it were me, I'd just make the jump but make
7 > > sure to keep the old kernel around just in case something doesn't work.
8 > > At least that way one can boot it and fix it.
9 >
10 > good idea!
11 > Is the kernel enough? Don't you have to have the initrd, and the modules
12 > list and all the modules and and and?
15 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade should help.
19 > > ... Switch to the
20 > > new17.1 profile, run emerge -puDN world and see if the changes look OK.
21 > > If you don't like or it breaks something, switch to 17.0 and run emerge
22 > > -puDN world and see what it looks like. Pick the one that you feel
23 > > safest with. ...
24 >
25 > I haven't a clue what unsafe is...
26 >
27 > Pick the one that most closely matches your requirements.