From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about hacked sites and passwords
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:12:37
1 On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 05:29:23 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> None of the passwords were lost tho.
4 > > This time.
5 >
6 > And maybe not the next time either, or the next time, or the next
7 > time. Point is, can you state for a fact that no site will ever be
8 > broke into, ever?
9
10 No, which is why I prefer not to entrust them with sensitive data.
11
12 > >> Keep in mind, they are encrypted locally, then sent to
13 > >> them. They can't see the passwords either.
14 > > How is it encrypted? If the encryption system is not open source, it
15 > > is not trustworthy.
16 >
17 > The guy that owns it posted on this list a good while back. This was
18 > before the hack job. According to the things I have read, it has been
19 > improved even more than it was. I agree open source can be good but
20 > that doesn't mean closed can't be since we don't know what it does. If
21 > we don't know, neither does the hackers.
22
23 See Florian's answer. Open sourcing the encryption method means that
24 there can be no back doors and the many eyeballs principle applies to
25 inadvertent security holes. Closed source means you have to have complete
26 trust, blind faith even, in the developers to be 100% honest and 100%
27 fault free.
28
29 A friend of mine who codes for financial institutions and is an
30 encryption uber-geek once told me the principal they use is "keep the
31 algorithm open and the keys secret".
32
33 > > I wouldn't store my banking passwords anywhere online, in fact I
34 > > cannot access my bank account with password alone. I also need my
35 > > debit card, PIN and the card reader they supply. This generates
36 > > one-time password using my card's details and no online component. I
37 > > realise that card security is not the greatest, but if they've got my
38 > > card and PIN, I'm screwed anyway.
39
40 > Well, if I understand what you call a dropbox, that is online. I have
41 > never used it so I have no idea.
42
43 I don't store my bank details on Dropbox.
44
45 > My bank doesn't have all that. Honestly, until it is absolutely
46 > needed, I wouldn't want to go through all that just to see if I have
47 > enough money to buy milk. :/
48
49 I was sceptical when it first arrived, but it's really easy to use and
50 no password needed since the card reader generates it for you. It looks
51 like a small calculator with a card slot, so easy enough to carry around
52 for remote access.
56 Neil Bothwick
57
58 Don't forget that MS-Windows is just a temporary workaround until you can
59 switch to a GNU system.