From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel setting for frame buffer (2.6.23-r5)
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:19:27
1 For a good while now I've had a setting like this in grub.conf:
2
3 (wrapped for mail)
4 kernel /kernel-2.6.23-r5 root=/dev/hda5 \
5 vga=0x31A video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap
6
7 I'm not sure any more how much of that is necessary.
8
9 I have it there to allow console mode to have much larger resolution than
10 default (The appearance is much smaller text)
11
12 I think this setting in kernel config is the one needed for that:
13 CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
14
15 But I'm trying to build a pared down kernel a console only setup.
16 Going thru the kernel settings in menuconfig... I'm not finding the one
17 that creates that `CONFIG_FB_VESA=y' element.
18
19 I've gone back and forth through the setting under:
20 Device drivers/Graphics-support .. checking Support for FrameBuffer
21 devices (both as module and builtin in different saves).
22
23 The only other setting that looks to be about framebuffer is
24 Userspace VESA VGA graphics support but I think that one is this line
25 in .config # CONFIG_FB_UVESA is not set
26
27 Examining the resulting .config with and without that one set I never
28 see this CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
29
30 That line ends up unset in every way I've thought to try.
31
32 However it is in the /usr/share/[...]kernel-2.6 config that genkernel
33 uses.
34
35 I want to have the ability to have the larger resolution in console
36 mode but the kernel build is way pared down from what genkernel would
37 do. So what settings do I need to have the effect like posted in
38 grub.conf line above?
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list