From: Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which openoffice
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 11:15:38
1 Zdenek Travnicek wrote:
2 >> I don't know a machine with the name thunderbird :-[ . But I started
3 >> with Gentoo
4 >> on a Toshiba Tecra 8100, that's a PIII Copermine 800MHz and 512 MB RAM.
5 >> In this
6 >> respect, I can say: Yes, I did. :-) An emerge -e world lasted 11
7 >> hours, without OOO,
8 >> OOO alone needs 16 hours to build, _but_ that, for me, was the
9 >> fascinating thing -
10 >> The build runs faultless, not even this strange segfaults of
11 >> typesconfig. :-D
15 > Cool!
16 >
17 Yeah, and all couple of hours, I very carefully looked at the progress. ;-)
18 >
19 > One of my first compilations of OOo was on old Intel Celeron 400 for
20 > my parents and it took 44hours, and whole system (w/ X, FF, Tb, OOo)
21 > from stage1 exactly 5days (nearly 5x24 hours ;)
22 >
23 And all the time the fear that the machine breaks or the build. ;-)
24
25 > Sweet old times :D
26 > It's loosing it's magic, when u can make it in 3 hours now ;-)
27 >
28 Yup, but today we have to do other things too. My
29 Gentoo box is my working machine too, therefore I'm
30 really happy about the shorter build times.
31
32 > On my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000) with pentium-m@2.13GHz, it still
33 > takes me around 13hours though... I guess that encrypted root (with
34 > /var/tmp) and swap does take it's price ;-)
35 >
36 > But even though I need to compile it overnight, it's still worth it.
37 > It's just the Right Gentoo Way (tm) :-D
38 >
39 That's what I'm talking about. 8-)
43 >> >
44 >> >> Although I conduct all emerges at the console _not_ in X. Perhaps
45 >> >> that's it. However, every user should do how he/she likes.
46 >> >>
47 >> >
48 >> > it does not matter where - ooo is huge - bloated. And whereever you emerge it,
49 >> > it is the package needing the most time.
50 >>
51 >> That's absolutely right.
55 > +1
58 > P.S. 389.9cm :-))