From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update to dev-libs/icu-51.1 results in borked Dolphin
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:47:15
1 On 28/04/2013 17:46, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 28 Apr 2013 14:50:58 Mick wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 28 Apr 2013 13:21:35 Marc Joliet wrote:
4 >>> I have to admit, I'm a bit confused. I was going to suggest rebuilding
5 >>> QtWebKit, because of the undefined references and other warnings above,
6 >>> but I didn't rebuild it myself after upgrading icu, and various KDE
7 >>> software I have (that depends on QtWebKit, for example k3b and various
8 >>> games) still runs fine.
9 >>>
10 >>> I would try rebuilding QtWebKit anyway, though.
11 >
12 > That's fixed it. Thanks!
13 >
14 > Does this mean that the new *default* for make.conf should be that preserve-
15 > libs is included in FEATURES, otherwise packages that depend on older lib
16 > files break if older files are removed?
20 I dunno what the default is, but I've used preserve-libs since forever.
21
22 Not having it doesn't give you less than what you used to have - apps
23 that link to libs which get upgraded always used to break, hence why we
24 had revdep-rebuild. And far years we just dealt with this breakage.
25
26 preserve-libs just delays the delete of the old lib till the point where
27 nothing uses it anymore.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com