From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 15:20:52
1 On 10/12/2014 11:11 PM, Stefano Crocco wrote:
2 > Excerpts from Michael Palimaka's message of 2014-10-04 19:37:04 +0200:
3 >> On 10/04/2014 11:26 PM, behrouz khosravi wrote:
4 >>> Hello everyone.
5 >>> I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
6 >>> Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
7 >>>
8 >>> thanks
9 >>
10 >> Hi,
11 >>
12 >> The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
13 >> of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
14 >> no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
15 >> KDE 4.
16 >>
17 >> We (Gentoo KDE team) have not yet made a decision as to when the Plasma
18 >> 5 Workspace will be pushed to the main tree. I've been using it on a
19 >> daily basis for about six months, and consider the next release (5.1.0)
20 >> to be a good candidate for the main tree.
21 >>
22 >> The underlying Platform (KDE Frameworks 5) upon which Plasma 5 is built
23 >> is expected in the main tree in about a week, after the 5.3.0 release.
24 >>
25 >> Best regards,
26 >> Michael
27 >>
28 >> [1]: https://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves
29 >
30 > I'd love to try KDE 5. So far I've been able to install Frameworks from the KDE
31 > overlay. I then tried to install the workspace, but it seems that it can't
32 > coexist with kde 4 (I get blockers from several kde 4 packages when trying to
33 > install). Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong? I use paludis as
34 > package manager, so maybe it behaves differently from portage and this is the
35 > reason for the blockers.
36
37 Unfortunately Plasma 5 and KDE 4 Workspaces cannot coexist. This is an
38 upstream decision.