From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 17:34:57
1 On 01/02/20 22:08, Jack wrote:
2 > Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
3 >
4 > As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent from
5 > "...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional address.
6 > Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the sourceforge system
7 > to a personal address I specify. When I send a message "From: " that
8 > address, however, I cannot send it through the sourceforge system, as I
9 > don't actually have an email account with them. Currently, I send it
10 > through my gmail account. That works because I added that address in my
11 > gmail Settings under "Accounts and Import" / "Send mail as:". To set
12 > it up, gmail sends a message to that address, and I click on a link in
13 > the message to prove it does come to me. That's been working find for a
14 > long time, but, ...
15 >
16 > I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists like
17 > this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
18 > message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
19 > because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
20
21 You'll notice I'm posting from a personal domain ...
22
23 It's actually owned by my brother, but that's by the by. He uses this
24 company ...
25
26 http://www.hosts.co.uk/ which appears to be an old blog (I guess the
27 company got taken over or changed its name) but the website does say
28 they are now https://www.names.co.uk/ so try there instead.
29
30 You'll have to investigate exactly what the setup is yourself, but I
31 believe he gets a dashboard and can set up about 25 pop/imap accounts on
32 his domain for not much money - looks like about £5 per month. Each
33 account can also have multiple aliases - he's given me one imap/pop
34 account with two aliases. I then use their smtp host for sending. Or if
35 your ISP offers email addresses, you should be able to send via them - I
36 know my ISP assumes that since I'm logged in to their network I must be
37 legit ... :-)
38
39 Not knowing where you're based, but like I've got <name>.org.uk, you
40 might be able to get <name>.org.us or whatever - see what's free.
41
42 £60 - $80 or so - per year isn't a bad price for a personal domain that
43 all the family can use ... :-)
44
45 Cheers,
46 Wol