From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: FreeType unpatented auto-hinter?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:42:57
1 On 09/26/2011 06:13 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
2 > Somebody on twitter told me that Ubuntu uses a special patch for
3 > freetype that improves font rendering manifolds.
4 >
5 > So I rebuilt freetype with these useflags: +auto-hinter +bindist
6
7 When you emerge freetype, it tells you at the end that the bindist USE
8 flag does not longer control the auto-hinter.
9
10 Also, as another poster mentioned, this is no longer an issue. The
11 patent expired so the auto-hinter is no longer required.
14 > What is the difference between this unpatented auto hinter and the
15 > TrueType BC interpreter?
16
17 The main difference is that the auto-hinter doesn't take into account
18 the font's hinting instructions, resulting in non-optimal hinting. In
19 short: don't use it.
20
21 For best looking fonts, disable both the "auto-hinter" and "bindist" USE
22 flags. The bindist USE flag controls the subpixel-rendering algorithm,
23 which is still patented by Microsoft in the USA.
24
25 So for best results (which is what Ubuntu uses), you need the BC
26 interpreter (you get that by disabling the "auto-hinter" flag) and the
27 subpixel renderer (by disabling the "bindist" flag).