From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel questions
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:03:26
1 Hello,
2
3 > 1.) Is there a Map: modules to configration parameters?
4
5 I don't think so.
6 The help text for most modules has a reference to the actual module name
7 (something like "the module will be called xxxx"). If you're looking for
8 something specific you could try grepping for that in the
9 /usr/src/linux/**/Kconfig files and see what setting it belongs to.
10
11 > To customize the kernel I can either strip down the configuration of
12 > the genkernel or start with an empty .config file.
13
14 I generally start with a .config from a similar machine :)
15 Failing that, I prefer the "empty config" route.
16
17 > 3.) Is there a concept behind the default settings of make menuconfig
18 > if you start with an empty .config?
19
20 AFAIK every time you have no .config you get the default settings for
21 the current arch, which are created by running "make defconfig". I guess
22 they're what Linux is using... (just kidding -- I have no clue)
23
24 > 5.) Where are my platform specific drivers?
25 >
26 > X86 Platform Specific Device Drivers --->
27
28 Most settings in that submenu depend on specifig things being enabled
29 elsewhere (e.g. an ACPI driver). If you have actually selected
30 X86_PLATFORM_DEVICES=Y, and you get an empty submenu, chances are the
31 rest of your configuration is such that nothing in there can be selected.
32
33 For more information check the contents of
34 /usr/src/linux/drivers/platform/x86/Kconfig
35
36 HTH,
37 andrea