From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 01:26:18
1 kashani wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> I also remember this from way back when I was working on puters. I got
4 >> a new job when winder 3.1 came out. Anyway. If a electronic device can
5 >> survive the first couple to six months of usage, they usually last a
6 >> while from the electronic point of view. That is short of spilling your
7 >
8 > Yep, it's been studied and even has a a fun name.
9 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve
10 >
11 > kashani
15 That would be it. You think about this tho. A hard drive has two
16 things going against it. Electronic failure or mechanical failure.
17 Mechanical usually happen with age, USUALLY. Electronics mostly fail at
18 the beginning of life, USUALLY. There are exceptions to all this of
19 course. So if one doesn't get it at the beginning, the other gets it in
20 the end. :/
21
22 Weird huh? Can't win either way. Maybe we need a 60 day burn in period
23 before being sold. That should help a little at least.
24
25 Dale
26