From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 11:36:40
1 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 01/17/2016 10:10 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 1:03 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I would prefer a method that is independent of OS used. And provides server side limitations with regards to filesharing and clipboard access.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> x2go is just X11, so it should be OS-independent as long as you have a
10 >> client/server for it. It just logs in as the appropriate user on the
11 >> remote host, so access beyond that is whatever you'd get if you just
12 >> logged in on a console.
13 >>
14 >> Now, I can't vouch for how many OSes anybody has bothered to implement it on.
17 > Thanks for that tip on x2go - I'd struggled with freenx and eventually
18 > gave up and freenx isn't even in the tree anymore.
19 >
20 > I looked up x2go and rebuilt openssh on my home server as it suggested
21 > to try it out. Other than restarting sshd, I didn't have to do any
22 > configuration and it just *worked*. I've, like, never ever had that
23 > happen before. Even when I set up my tigervnc with xinetd it was days of
24 > experimenting before I got it to work. tigervnc also was hanging up X
25 > upgrades, so now I can successfully ditch tigervnc.
26 >
27 > x2go is so much faster it's unbelievable. I have a gigabit LAN here at
28 > home and VNC was lagging pretty badly (to the point where I decided
29 > against even trying to use it remotely.)
30 >
31 > Some things to note: there's no android client, but there is one for
32 > Windows/linux/MacOS. I haven't tried it on my Windows laptop yet, but
33 > one of these days I'll dig it out and try it.
34
35 Thank you for letting us know, I'll keep x2go in mind.
36
37 > Makes me wonder if it would be possible to spin up a VM on demand with
38 > x2go on and preconfigured if OP requires users not to be on the same host.
39
40 It probably is; I guess you'd need something to start the VM when a
41 connection is attempted.