From: Shawn Singh <callmeshawn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] System Crash
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:04:14
1 Hello list,
2
3 This morning I noticed that my machine was frozen (would not respond to
4 keyboard or mouse, so couldn't ctrl+alt+func_key to a terminal or anything,
5 I couldn't ping it either). I reset it and started chugging along... or so I
6 thought. This machine is my firewall. Everytime a client attempts to connect
7 to eth1, the machine crashes. Prior to the most recent crash I switched to a
8 console session so I could see messages coming to the screen and I saw
9 something to the tune of:
10
11 BUG: soft lockup detected on cpu#0!
12 ...
13 dump trace 0x69/ox1af
14 show_trace_log lvl +0x18/0x2...
15 show_trace+0xf/0x11
16 dump_stack 0x15/ 0x12
17 softlockup_tick 0xad/0xc4
18 ...
19 smp_apic_timer_interrupt 0x9f/0xbb
20 apic_timer_interrupt 0x2a/0x30
21 _do_softirq_0x68/0xeb
22 do_softirq ox4a/0xc3
23 ===============
24
25 I can induce the crash at will by:
26
27 1. booting the firewall
28 2. booting the client that is connected to eth1
29
30 or
31
32 (if the client is booted)
33 1. boot the firewall
34 2. disconnect the cable that is plugged into eth1 and plug it into eth2
35
36 (if the client is booted)
37 1. boot the firewall
38 2. change the ip parameters on the client and ping the firewall
39
40 I'm running 2.6.19-r1. I've been using that kernel for probably 1 month or
41 so. The most recent change I made to the machine was installing Shorewall
42 and recompiling the kernel to add the ip masq stuff. The machine ran all
43 weekend with no hitches. Last night my wife's laptop was connected to eth1
44 and she was surfing the net just fine, I disconnected her laptop and
45 connected my laptop and I surfed the net just fine. I woke up this morning
46 and noticed this trouble?
47
48 Have any of yous guys seen anything like this before?
49
50 Thanks,
51
52 Shawn
53
54 "Doing linear scans over an associative array is like trying to club someone
55 to death with a loaded Uzi."
56 Larry Wall