From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup program that compresses data but only changes new files.
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 22:58:31
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 <SNIP>
4 >
5 > Thoughts? Ideas?
6 >
7 > Dale
8 >
9 > :-) :-)
10
11 Do you happen to have an old computer laying around? If so check
12 out TrueNAS Core.
13
14 You'd need one small OS drive and 2 backup drives - your current
15 7TB and one more to build the recommended RAID. It compresses,
16 saves older revs of files if possible with snapshots. Is supports
17 NFS mounts for media/etc, chroot jails and lots of other stuff.
18
19 The default version has been FreeBSD based so I had some
20 learning to do but I think there's now a Linux version.
21
22 It appears that possibly you have your backup drive in your
23 computer so it moves backups to a separate machine which
24 you can locate remotely so you're probably safer in terms of
25 a fire or some other catastrophic event.
26
27 If this appeals and you have the hardware you can build
28 a box and mess with it but it certainly does the minimal
29 number of things you are asking for.
30
31 HTH,
32 Mark