From: Andy Wilkinson <drukargin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gvfs, cameras, and me
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 17:03:58
1 On 12/24/2010 07:34 AM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:
2 > On 12/19/2010 09:55 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Andy Wilkinson wrote:
4 >>> So, the only issue that I consistently have in Gentoo anymore is
5 >>> that there exist periods of time (probably coincident with gphoto2
6 >>> or gvfs upgrades) wherein I can't automount my PTP digital camera (a
7 >>> Nikon D60, if it's relevant) and use gthumb to import my photos.
8 >>> I'm able to use gphoto2 to do so just fine, and so I do, but it
9 >>> bothers me that the way I'd prefer to do things doesn't work the way
10 >>> I'd like it to. Currently I'm in a "doesn't work" phase, as you may
11 >>> have surmised.
12 >>>
13 >>> To make matters worse, when gvfs/nautilus doesn't see the camera at
14 >>> all, I have no idea at all how to find out what messages might have
15 >>> been sent where, or why gvfs might not be seeing it, or
16 >>> what-have-you. None of the usual suspects (dmesg,
17 >>> /var/log/messages, ~/.xsession-errors) have anything useful. dmesg
18 >>> does at least tell me that I'm seeing the USB device properly.
19 >>>
20 >>> Is there a tried-and-true method of at least troubleshooting this
21 >>> sort of issue, or am I stuck throwing darts at the different gphoto2
22 >>> and gvfs builds in portage?
23 >>>
24 >>> I've attached emerge --info gvfs gphoto2, for the curious.
25 >>>
26 >>> Thanks,
27 >>>
28 >>> -Andy
29 >>
30 >> Firstly, I don't use Gnome and our cameras are different. This may
31 >> not matter for your setup but thought it worth checking into. I have
32 >> this for my Canon in make.conf:
33 >>
34 >> CAMERAS="canon ptp2"
35 >>
36 >> I use the ptp2 and most likely need to remove the other but you may
37 >> need to set yours to something that your camera uses. CAMERAS="ptp2"
38 >> just may work.
39 >>
40 >> Usually a emerge -pv <package> will show the options available. It
41 >> does here anyway.
42 >>
43 >> Hope that helps.
44 >>
45 >> Dale
46 >>
47 >> :-) :-)
48 > Alas, changing CAMERAS didn't work. But I'm not surprised, as gphoto2
49 > has always found the camera just fine, regardless of what Gnome
50 > thinks. I suspect that my issue is closer to a libgphoto2/gvfs
51 > incompatibility, but I've no data on which to test that. I suppose I
52 > could just start compiling ~arch masked builds of libgphoto2 and see
53 > if any of them stick, but I would love some sort of cleaner answer.
54 >
55 > Thanks,
56 >
57 > -Andy
58 OK, so I decided to try around with different combinations, and it turns
59 out I actually was running a ~arch version of libgphoto2 (I had unmasked
60 2.4* for compatibility with gthumb-2.12, iirc). Downgrading from
61 libgphoto2-2.4.10 to -2.4.9 fixed things.
62
63 Why? :)
64
65 Thanks,