From: YoYo siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't see /dev/hda1,2,3 but I know they exist...
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:16:10
1 On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:49:47AM -0500, James Homuth wrote:
2 > I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after
3 > reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I currently have 0
4 > swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't exist. But, booting to
5 > an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees them just fine.
6 > Also, and this is the strange part. It boots no problem, so the OS is able
7 > to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though from the command line I'm not
8 > seeing it. I'm probably missing something completely dead obvious (it's
9 > after midnight here and all), and Google's turning up nothing, so if someone
10 > could kindly slap me in the face with it, that'd be appreciated. Thanks
11 > either way for whatever help comes my way.
15 Hi,
16 I just had to restart my computer (power issues :( ) in the middle of
17 an update (well, it was more like 'just before the end';) and after
18 restart I have the same problem as you, no /dev/sd[ab]* files...
19
20 My first guess was that I rebooted without updating the config files, so
21 I ran etc-update (there were some udev config files as well as init
22 script) and rebooted, but that didn't help.
23
24 It is certainly not a problem with drivers not being in kernel, as the
25 kernel sees the disks and partitions (see below), so I just run
26
27 tail -n +3 /proc/partitions | while read maj min size name ; do mknod /dev/$name b $maj $min ; done
28 /etc/init.d/localmount pause; /etc/init.d/localmount start
29
30 to get everything mounted again...
31
32 That means it will have to be an udev (or even openrc) problem.
33 The last update of udev did in fact say this:
34
35 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
36 * CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED: should not be set. But it is.
37 * CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2: should not be set. But it is.
38 * CONFIG_IDE: should not be set. But it is.
39 * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
40 * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
41 *
42 * udev-151 does not support Linux kernel before version 2.6.25!
43 * For a reliable udev, use at least kernel 2.6.27
44
45 * Your kernel version (2.6.28-gentoo-r2) is new enough to run udev-151 reliably.
46
47 I didn't want to mess with the kernel right now, but I gues that's the
48 first thing to try...
49 I'll report when I rebuild & reboot...
50
51 yoyo
55 ===================
56 Kernel can see the partitions just fine:
57
58 julka dev # cat /proc/partitions
59 major minor #blocks name
60
61 7 0 512000 loop0
62 8 0 199148544 sda
63 8 1 18940603 sda1
64 8 2 32218357 sda2
65 8 3 2152710 sda3
66 8 4 1 sda4
67 8 5 145830006 sda5
68 8 16 312571224 sdb
69 8 17 312568641 sdb1
70 julka dev # ls /sys/block/
71 hda/ loop1/ loop3/ loop5/ loop7/ ram1/ ram11/ ram13/ ram15/ ram3/ ram5/ ram7/ ram9/ sdb/
72 loop0/ loop2/ loop4/ loop6/ ram0/ ram10/ ram12/ ram14/ ram2/ ram4/ ram6/ ram8/ sda/
73 julka dev # ls /sys/block/sd*
74 /sys/block/sda:
75 bdi dev ext_range power range ro sda2 sda4 size stat uevent
76 capability device holders queue removable sda1 sda3 sda5 slaves subsystem
77
78 /sys/block/sdb:
79 bdi capability dev device ext_range holders power queue range removable ro sdb1 size slaves stat subsystem uevent
84 _
85 |
86 YoYo () Siska
88 http://www.ksp.sk/