From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switch between sound cards?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:44:56
1 Grant,
2 If you want to do a complete switch then you would change your USB
3 card to index 0 and restart Als which would make the USB card the
4 default since card 0 is always the default for Alsa. On the other
5 hand, if you wanted to just leave the onboard card as default and send
6 audio from a specific application to the USB card you would tell the
7 application to use hw:1 explicity, either in the command line when you
8 start the app or in an application's config file. On my system I let
9 all my web/browest audio go to the onboard sound card but I send all
10 my CD audio directly to my good card using Aqualung and configuring it
11 from the command line. (Actually in my launcher.)
12
13 to the best of my knowledge there has never been a way to simply
14 switch sound cards on the fly in Alsa. I've requested this sometime
15 back but the developers haven't shown any interest.
16
17 Hope this helps,
18 Mark
19