From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:37:48
1 On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > for a long time I used IceWM as my windowmanager since I dont
6 > want to mimicry other OSses (...) or want session management.
7 > One thing, which is a must-have of windowmanagers I want to use
8 > is the possibility to control the windowmanager nearly completly
9 > with the keyboard (hotkeys configurable) which does *not*
10 > imply "uncontrollable by mouse" ;)
11 > Furthermore I should not be a hana-bi or anything else eye-candy
12 > like (nothing against hana-bi as hana-bi!) -- most of the time
13 > I will use the windowmanager instead of only looking at it -- which
14 > does not imply: "black anmd white ugly ascii thingy".
15 >
16 > Since IceWM seems to be gone into hibernation phase I am looking for
17 > a replacement which should
18 > -- be widely configurable via ascii files
19 > -- be as far as possible controllable by keyboard
20 > -- be also useable with the mouse
21 > -- no eye-candy
22 > -- not ugly
23 > -- NOT tiling
24 > -- FAST!
25 >
26 > I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
27 > what windowmanagers.
28 >
29 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
30 > Best regards and have a nice weekend!
31 > Meino Cramer
32
33 try Openbox, tiny but modern