From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mini Gentoo in VMWare
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:58:31
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 22:43:40 -0700 "Trenton Adams"
4 <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Has anyone here played with minimalizing everything for use in vmware?
7
8 No, not for that use, but for other uses, yes. But you need to specify
9 what exactly you mean by saying "minimized".
10
11 I wouldn't go the road and use LFS, as suggested here. IMHO, LFS is
12 absolutely not the way to go when in need for security updates and
13 stuff. Gentoo does it just fine.
14
15 OTOH, you won't be able to run Tomcat with 64MB of RAM without it
16 getting veeeery sluggish...
17
18 My suggestion would be to setup a "master" chroot environment on some
19 crafty machine and compile binary packages for all the software you
20 need, then distribute them to the VMs by setting up stage3's and set
21 PORTAGE_BINHOST appropriately. If you want to strip down documentation,
22 locales and stuff, have a look at the scripting facilities of portage:
23 e.g. put this into /etc/portage/bashrc (on the "master" chroot, if you
24 go with a buildhost):
25 ---snip
26 post_src_install() {
27 rm -rf image/usr/share/man