From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: beegfs goes opensource!
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 13:35:08
1 On 2/28/2016 4:24 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 22:51:13 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >>> I recall a list conversation about this, explaining that it would be
4 >>>> trivial for someone who knows how to do ebuilds, to have their own
5 >>>> ZFS-in-kernel system available, and that it would also be possible to
6 >>>> accomplish this via an overlay...
7
8 >>> sys-fs/zfs-kmod
9
10 >> I would be using this on a server, so, for security reasons, no module
11 >> support.
12 >
13 > echo sys-fs/zfs kernel-builtin >/etc/portage/package.use
14 >
15 > You need to unmask the kernel-builtin USE flag.
16
17 Wow...! How long has that been available?
18
19 I also recall something about being able to use the latest/greatest too,
20 but the overlay would have to pull the sources from Oracle...?
21
22 So, would appreciate comments on what version of ZFS this would pull in,
23 limitations, caveats, dangers, etc...
24
25 Also, it has been a while since I read anything - what is the current
26 state of BTRFS vs ZFS? Is it stable/mature enough to use for production?
27 What can ZFS do that it cannot?
28
29 Thanks Neil!