From: Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Switching to Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:23:55
1 Hey group,
2
3 I am a long time Linux user, however I am new to Gentoo. I used Red
4 Hat/Fedora for many years, then my own Linux based on LFS and the last
5 year I have been using Ubuntu.
6
7 I really like Ubuntu because of apt, however I have had frustrations
8 with Ubuntu because it could be a pain to get newer versions of packages
9 installed. For example Ubuntu defaulted to Apache 1.x for mod_mono.
10
11 I have now been using Gentoo for a few days and I am running into some
12 issues I hope this group can help with. At first emerge was trying to
13 merge some really old packages. For example I wanted mysql 5.x, php 5.x
14 and Apache 2.x and Gentoo was only going to install mysql 4.x. I did
15 find out about ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" which has helped with getting more
16 recent versions of software installed.
17
18 I am looking for any good links, tips, suggestions of admin software to
19 emerge, etc to help me learn the ins-and-outs of Gentoo. I have tons of
20 questions but don't know where to look. Well, I can google but that
21 takes ages and I was hoping many of you on this list will have a nice
22 set of bookmarks on gentoo admin, handy gentoo software, tips etc.
23
24 Some tasks I could do in Fedora/Ubuntu that I want to know how to do on
25 Gentoo:
26
27 See list of all *installed* software.
28 Browse available software that can be installed.
29 See what version of a particular software package is installed.
30 See if any new versions of *installed* software are available.
31 ...
32
33 Thanks,
34