From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:56:23
1 On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:29:47PM +0900, Mike Mazur wrote
2
3 > But the list of packages being recompiled have mostly to do with
4 > video, audio and transcoding. I understand it's the --newuse flag
5 > that's causing those, not the additional parameters in CFLAGS. Will
6 > the CFLAGS have benefits on other packages? Such as Firefox or maybe
7 > netscape-flash? For those I might want to do an emerge --emptytree
8 > world...
9
10 If all the other stuff isn't being re-compiled, "-march=prescott"
11 probably includes them by default, so there's no point in re-building
12 your system. The CFLAGS were probably included by default.
13
14 If you need a speed boost in Firefox, there is some additional
15 tweaking that can be done. The pango library allows Firefox to
16 simultaneously render US English text (if that's your system locale)
17 *AND* Chinese, and other similar text. It slows down Firefox in the
18 process. If you're willing to give up on Asiatic text, you can cause
19 Firefox to not link against pango, by including the line...
20
21 www-client/mozilla-firefox moznopango
22
23 ...in /etc/portage/package.use It's your decision whether occasional
24 Asiatic scripts or a faster Firefox is worth more to you.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I'm not repeating myself
29 I'm an X Window user... I'm an ex-Windows-user
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list