From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB problem/questions (not Gentoo specific)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 18:10:02
1 On 2020.09.24 15:35, Sid Spry wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, at 7:11 PM, Jack wrote:
3 > > I've got a Ryzen 5 2600 in an MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard. The
4 > specs
5 > > imply that the CPU produces four USB 3.0 ports and the chipset
6 > produces
7 > > 6 USB 2.0 and four USB 3.1 (although the last four are not available
8 > > with this motherboard.
9 >
10 > Even high end motherboards tend to only bring out 1 or 2 root hubs.
11 > That the
12 > chip supports 4 root hubs does not mean all of them were used.
13 > Typically there
14 > are two groups of USB3 and one or two groups of USB2.
15 The mobo specs say I should have 6 USB2 ports (two on the rear plus two
16 headers), 4 USB3 ports on the rear (three Type-A and one Type-C,) plus
17 two USB3 headers. I know there is another USB3 hub in the chipset
18 which is not available through the mobo. dmesg and lsusb show two USB2
19 hubs and two USB3 hubs (one of which is clearly the unavailable one.)
20 Where is the extra USB2 hub coming from and where is the missing USB3
21 hub?
22 >
23 > Sometimes it's just one USB3 root hub and they attach all of the USB2
24 > ports to
25 > it, making everything run at USB2 speeds.
26 But connecting a USB2 device to a USB3 hub will slow things down, but
27 they should not cause a USB3 hub to be identifed as USB2, just to work
28 at the lower speed. Am I wrong about this?
29 >
30 > With USB2, hubs are required to have a translation unit that speeds
31 > USB1
32 > packets up to USB2 speeds. Even with these translators you can incur
33 > delays
34 > waiting for slower USB1 devices to respond as they will take ~4x
35 > longer, and
36 > then the buffered data is sped up when it is put on the bus.
37 >
38 > With USB3 there is no such requirement. This would be fine as the
39 > USB2 is
40 > on separate wires but most USB3 silicon seems to be implemented in
41 > such a
42 > way that USB2 transactions slow down the USB3 transactions. In some
43 > cases
44 > this is visible with `lsusb -t`: putting a USB2 device on a USB3 bus
45 > will
46 > downgrade all devices to USB2 speeds (showing USB3 devices that were
47 > 5000M as 480M), and even if it is not visible, you may see transfers
48 > take ~10x
49 > as long.
50 >
51 > I found all of this out when benchmarking flash drives. My
52 > motherboard was
53 > wired such that every important USB3 port shared the keyboard and
54 > mouse
55 > ports. If you plug a USB1.1/USB2 keyboard and mouse in, everything
56 > else
57 > slows down.
58 Again, I'm not yet worried about speeds. I'm worried that every
59 external port show up connected to a USB2 hub. To me, that means that
60 xHCI is calling one USB3 hub USB2 or something is not being identified
61 correctly.
62 >
63 > USB3.1 I think explicitly addresses this issue saying that USB3
64 > should always
65 > run at USB3 speeds, but vendors still seem to be churning out broken
66 > motherboards.
67 >
68 > > lsusb shows
69 > > Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
70 > > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
71 > > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
72 > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
73 > >
74 > > lsusb -t shows
75 > > /: Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
76 > > /: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 480M
77 > > /: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 10000M
78 > > /: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/10p, 480M
79 > >
80 What I didn't post is the bits from dmesg that show that bus1 and bus2
81 are from PCI 00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]
82 Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge, and bus3 and bus4
83 are from PCI 1d:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]
84 Zeppelin USB 3.0 Host controller. Bus2 is clearly from the B350
85 chipset, and not actually available. Bus1 (10 ports even with the
86 external hub not connected) seems like the 2 rear USB2 ports plus the
87 two headers, plus four more ports apparently not actually available.
88 If bus3 and bus4 are from the CPU, I don't think there should be any
89 USB2. If they are from the Chipset, then were are the USB3 ports from
90 the CPU?
91 >
92 > I am pretty sure the pairs of ports are linked. This seems to be a new
93 > development, and I'm not really sure what it means yet.
94 Pairs of ports, or pairs of busses?
95 >
96 > > Bus 01 shows 10p because there is a 4 port external hub connected,
97 > so
98 > > that should be the 6 USB 2.0 ports - two rear ports, and two two
99 > port
100 > > headers (JUSB1 and JUSB2)
101 > > Bus 02 is (I assume) advertised by the B350 chipset, but I don't
102 > expect
103 > > it to show up on any physical ports or headers
104 > > Bus 03 is a mystery, as I have no idea where the extra USB 2.0 ports
105 > > are coming from
106 > > Bus 04 should be the USB 3.0 generated by the CPU, and I assume
107 > should
108 > > be what feeds the JUSB3 and JUSB4 USB3 headers
109 > >
110 > > The rear IO panel has 2 USB 2.0 ports, and if I plug anything into
111 > > them, they show up as ports 8 and 9 on bus 1.
112 > > The front of the case has two USB3 ports, which show up on the bus
113 > 1,
114 > > ports 1 and 2 if the connector is in JUSB4 on the mobo, or ports 3
115 > and
116 > > 4 if using JUSB3.
117 > > The three Type-A USB3 connectors on the back show up on bus 3,
118 > ports 1,
119 > > 2, and 4, with port 3 presumably being the Type-C connector. I
120 > don't
121 > > have anything to test in the Type-C port.
122 > >
123 > > I'd be really surprised if the back IO panel on the mobo is
124 > miswired,
125 > > but why are the supposed USB3 ports all showing up as USB2? I have
126 > one
127 > > webcam capable of USB3, but it's only connecting at 480M (per lsusb
128 > -v)
129 > > but it's plug shows the standard USB logo, not the superspeed
130 > version.
131 > >
132 > Your motherboard technically isn't miswired per the USB spec. But it
133 > is
134 > miswired in the sense de facto none of your ports may support USB3.
135 The specs for the motherboard explicitly say there should be four USB3
136 ports on the IO backplane. dmesg and lsusb show anything plugged in
137 there as connected to bus3. I've interpreted the 480M speed as being
138 USB2, but I suppose it could just be a slow USB3 bus also. I'll need
139 better info on interpreting the additional bits of info dmesg shows
140 when accessing that bus/device to be certain.
141 >
142 > You'd have to do more testing yourself to ensure your system is broken
143 > in the same way mine is, but it is definitely possible. If you get a
144 > response
145 > from the manufacturers please let me know what it was.
146 MSI says only that they don't support Linux. They basicall won't do
147 s**t for me unless I install Windows. I'm currently exploring whether
148 I can reasonably do that without messing up my entire system. I just
149 don't trust Windows, so I may end up removing my HDDs and installing a
150 spare HDD to install Windows just to see what it shows for USB, and to
151 possibly get some answers out of MSI. It doesn't make me happy.
152 >
153 > I have a cheap Intel embedded system with this same problem, and a
154 > B350 system from ASRock with suspicious USB3 behavior that I haven't
155 > been able to investigate well.
156 >
157 > Cheers.
158 >
159 > P.S.: Another funny one I have is a B350 motherboard having enough
160 > VFIO groups to do GPU passthrough, but arranged explicitly so you
161 > can't compartmentalize devices. Everything except the NVMe port is
162 > in one giant group.
163 I've got 19 iommu groups, and I think all have at least one device, so
164 that seems good, even if it currently seems irrelevant to me.
165 >
166 > Sounds like false advertising to me.
167 That's what I'm trying to figure out, but I can't imagine ALL users of
168 this motherboard would accept a total lack of usable USB3 ports.