From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deficient Gnome Window Frames
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 13:16:06
1 On 05/09/2013 14:51, gevisz wrote:
2 > Usually, when I open a new window frame in Gnome 2, I have a Close,
3 > Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons on its upper-right corner.
4 >
5 > Sometimes, however, especially when I open a supplementary window frame
6 > from a running program, its upper (text) bar contains only the Close
7 > button with no possibility to maximize the window frame to the whole
8 > screen, and it is extremely inconvenient.
9 >
10 > I do remember that I had a similar problem in Gnome 2 under Ubuntu but
11 > somehow managed to get to the configuration where almost all my windows
12 > had Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons. The only exception was the
13 > Firefox sub-window to save a bookmark. :^(
14 >
15 > Just now, I have tries FXCE and found out that it opens all the
16 > sub-windows with the Maximize/Restore, Close and Minimize buttons "out
17 > of the box" and without recompilation of all the programs that do not do
18 > the same in Gnome (except for the Firefox bookmark sub-window, of course).
19 >
20 > However, I am reluctant to migrate to FXCE right now because at the
21 > moment I cannot achieve the same look-and-feel as in my Gnome
22 > (especially, I miss the the all-in-one clock-calendar-weather applet
23 > with the world map showing the daytime at different locations).
24 >
25 > Could anybody advise me how to get the Close, Maximize/Restore and
26 > Minimize buttons in all window frames in Gnome 2.
29 I think the true answer is
30
31 "You can't. The Gnome devs know better than you what you want"
32
33 I'm happy to be proved wrong though.
34
35 If it bothers you, just migrate to XFCE and deal with the pain. It will
36 last only a short time.
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com