From: Daniel <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:41:18
1 Grant wrote:
2 > It has come to my attention that a particular person I know may be
3 > intent on attacking my server/website in any way possible. He doesn't
4 > know much about Linux but does know Windows. What kind of things
5 > should I lock down to protect my remote hosted server? I don't have
6 > time to get too crazy with security right now, but what kinds of
7 > simple tricks might this fellow learn by asking around on forums, etc?
8
9 1) Use firewall to block access to everything but the services you need
10 to be accessible.(be very careful here so you DO NOT disable YOUR access)
11 2) Update your packages to their latest stable versions.
12 3) Check the configuration of your services - they should deny all
13 functionality but the one you intended to provide.
14 4) Enable activity logging - this would help you find out the way
15 somebody is trying to penetrate you system and give you opportunity to
16 take counter measures.
17 5) Pray :)
20 Best regards
21 Daniel