From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dual boot: XP installed last?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:34:15
1 On Tuesday 31 October 2006 18:05, Régis Décamps wrote:
2 > On 10/30/06, james <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Allan Spagnol Comar <allan.comar <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > > you just have to rerun grub setup.
5 > >
6 > > Hmmmm,
7 > >
8 > > If I install XP in the partition and it writes over the MBR,
9 > > then, upon reboot, how do I get to grub.conf so I have the
10 > > option to reboot the gentoo, then run grub setup?
11 >
12 > On windows run:
13 > fdisk /mbr
14 > (or somethink similar I can't recall exactly)
15
16 The fdisk /mbr is a MSDOS command. I think you mean the more modern command
17 fixmbr and if you run this from a Recovery Console (using your WinXP
18 installation CD) your computer will self-destruct in 3 seconds (only
19 kidding! :) ) What either of these two commands do is write into the MBR the
20 M$Windoze bootloader code. Your Gentoo installation will thereafter be
21 inaccessible without a LiveCD. You can chainload grub from the WinXP
22 ntldr.exe or you can reinstall grub in the MBR. I would recommend the
23 latter, unless you do not intend to keep the linux OS or its /boot partition
24 on this machine.
25
26 > That restores your previous bootloaker, ie grub.
27
28 Err, no it won't. To restore grub boot using a LiveCD, or a Grub floppy and
29 install grub as per the Gentoo handbook.
32 Regards,
33 Mick