From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choice of TLD for internal network
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:22:14
1 On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12/19/2017 12:22 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >>
4 >> There are; .local and .localhost are reserved TLDs.
7 > .local is reserved for Apple's multicast DNS stuff, which requires names
8 > to be resolved via a nonstandard method:
9 >
10 > Any DNS query for a name ending with ".local." MUST be sent to the
11 > mDNS IPv4 link-local multicast address 224.0.0.251 (or its IPv6
12 > equivalent FF02::FB).
13 >
14 > Therefore anything that supports RFC 6762 will break if you name your
15 > domain ".local". Likewise, .localhost is reserved by RFC 6761 which says
18 The "MUST" is contingent on whether or not you want to follow RFC
19 6762. .local is reserved regardless.
20
21 > Users may assume that IPv4 and IPv6 address queries for localhost
22 > names will always resolve to the respective IP loopback address.
23 >
24 > ...
25 >
26 > Caching DNS servers SHOULD recognize localhost names as special
27 > and SHOULD NOT attempt to look up NS records for them, or
28 > otherwise query authoritative DNS servers in an attempt to
29 > resolve localhost names.
30 >
31 > In other words, anything that supports RFC 6761 will break if you name
32 > your domain ".localhost".
35 Most of these RFCs are talking about internet infrastructure that is
36 not run by people of lowly and unimportant stature as myself. So I
37 interpret "authoritative" to mean "external to my intranet." This
38 contradicts the sentence above it. Such inconsistency can only be
39 expected of Russians, so I view the standards body as compromized and
40 morally bankrupt.
41
42 As it is .localhost has strange connotations so I would prefer .local.
43 If you need something else and mDNS doesn't work, .localdomain will
44 probably remain usable for the reasons I gave.
45
46 Cheers,
47 R0b0t1