From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS remote printing drives me crazy
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:52:01
Many thanks to all who helped me.

For cupsd.conf on the server machine
It turned out that I needed

Listen localhost:631

in addition to

Port 631
Listen /run/cups/cups.sock

Furthermore, on the client machine I had typo

DeviceURI ipp:://MyServer/printers/duploc_usb

(note the double colon)

Unfortunately, CUPS doesn't seem to check the syntax of DeviceURI
or it doesn't report this.
One simply gets "printer could not be located" when one tries to use it.

I didn't want to use enter the SERVER name into /etc/cups/client.conf
on the client machine,
since I want "double spooling', i.e. the client machine should accept
the print job even if the SERVER
machine is down.

---

Yes, I still have an old printer which only has a USB-connection and an
Ethernet connection.
Unfortunately, the Ethernet connection broke down recently.
I don't think that WiFi is the best solution since - at least me - have
only 60 Mbits/seccon on the WiFi
but 1 Gbits/second on the wired Ethernet - and some files to be printed
are quite large.

Thanks again,
Helmut.