From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS remote printing drives me crazy
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:52:01
1 Many thanks to all who helped me.
2
3 For cupsd.conf on the server machine
4 It turned out that I needed
5
6 Listen localhost:631
7
8 in addition to
11 Listen /run/cups/cups.sock
12
13 Furthermore, on the client machine I had typo
14
15 DeviceURI ipp:://MyServer/printers/duploc_usb
16
17 (note the double colon)
18
19 Unfortunately, CUPS doesn't seem to check the syntax of DeviceURI
20 or it doesn't report this.
21 One simply gets "printer could not be located" when one tries to use it.
22
23 I didn't want to use enter the SERVER name into /etc/cups/client.conf
24 on the client machine,
25 since I want "double spooling', i.e. the client machine should accept
26 the print job even if the SERVER
27 machine is down.
28
29 ---
30
31 Yes, I still have an old printer which only has a USB-connection and an
32 Ethernet connection.
33 Unfortunately, the Ethernet connection broke down recently.
34 I don't think that WiFi is the best solution since - at least me - have
35 only 60 Mbits/seccon on the WiFi
36 but 1 Gbits/second on the wired Ethernet - and some files to be printed
37 are quite large.
38
39 Thanks again,
40 Helmut.