From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 22:50:43
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 17.09.2018 kell 19:02, kirjutas Andrew Udvare:
2 > On 9/17/18 5:02 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > >
4 > > It wants to re-install wxpython-3.0.2.0, wxGTK-3.04 and
5 > > wxGTK-304-r300. I've already done that a few times, but I answered
6 > > 'y' anyway and let it reinstall them again. It didn't help:
7 > >
8 > > $ python -c "import wx"
9 > >
10 > > /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_core.py:16629:
11 > > UserWarning: wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch
12 > > warnings.warn("wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch")
15 > It needs to be version bumped. https://bugs.gentoo.org/632602
16
17 To my knowledge then that would also mean porting the program to it, as
18 it's a complete python bindings rewrite. Though the python API might be
19 quite the same compared to wxpython-3.0.2 with some exceptions and thus
20 maybe not a huge work.
21 For Gentoo it is of course quite a bit more "fun" when now all of a
22 sudden "import wx" could be either wxpython-3 or wxpython-4, even after
23 you get them installed in parallel in a separate SLOT without file
24 collisions. And that's why I still haven't even looked at this huge
25 bunch of needed work and testing. (more people want newer gnome right
26 now..)
27
28 > The current version of wxPython is actually 4.0.x and is not
29 > compatible
30 > with wxGTK 3.0.4.
31
32 I'm quite sure that is not true - wxPython 4.0.x README says it works
33 fine with wxWidgets 3.0, or more specifically wxGTK-3.0.4.
34
35 > wxGTK needs to be bumped as well
36 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/577030 but there are some breaking changes in
37 > 3.1 vs 3.0.
38
39 And 3.1 is ABI unstable development release, and we distributions
40 aren't fond of them.
41 Latest stable wxWidgets is 3.0.4, and we are up to date there with
42 wxGTK.
43
44 > wxPython 3.0.2.0 is considered 'classic' and was released in 2014.
45 >
46 > I tried to use a virtualenv with system package access and tried `pip
47 > install wxpython` but the oldest sane version you can go back to
48 > 4.0.3
49 > which won't build with 3.0.4 version of wxGTK.
50 >
51 > This discrepancy between the two does not look like it will be fixed
52 > any
53 > time soon.
54
55 It's just a warning from the times wxpython was released more or less
56 in tandem with wxWidgets. When their wxpython-4 worked progressed far,
57 they stopped doing that, and that old warning now apparently hits. But
58 all it is, is a warning. It'd be more of a problem if it ended up using
59 wxGTK-3.1 or a future 3.2. But wxGTK-3.0.4 is just bug fixes over
60 3.0.2, plus some new API and tiny careful backwards compatible ABI
61 changes (via ELF symbol versioning, etc). It should be fine as-is.
62 There might be value in relaxing that warning with a downstream patch,
63 but personally I'd rather save that time and work on wxpython-4
64 instead.
65
66 Yes, it'd be nice if we had wxpython-4. Help welcome. Also help welcome
67 in having wxpython-3 use wxGTK:3.0-gtk3 or have a separate SLOT for
68 that itself as well.
69
70 wxGTK-3.1 however is of debatable value due to development series and
71 ABI instability combined with a C++ ABI world. Most upstream developers
72 seem to ship their own wx things static linked into their stuff, so
73 don't seem to understand the needs of Linux distributions, or just
74 basic good release management. I am tired of trying to have that
75 improved by upstream - I've tried for ~14 years now, including while
76 being an upstream developer myself for wxGTK over a decade ago.
77
78 I realize that some programs want to use the new features already, but
79 we are in the business of building a stable distribution, not throw all
80 development releases and the caveats from that in front of everyone,
81 even when manpower is lacking for even the stable versions as-is.
84 Mart,
85 wxWidgets legacy Gentoo maintainer, hoping for a replacement..