From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] init id c5 response too fast disabled for 5 min
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 07:52:32
1 with the seg fault, you may have other problems.  you might want to unplug the hard drive (so you aren't spinning it) and run whatever diagnostics you can on the machine, just to make sure it's not failing/loosing it's little silicon mind.
2
3 seg fault shouldn't happen (from drive issues) i don't think, but i suppose if fsck gets confused enough it might.  or it might be a more general i/o or system problem.
4
5 there is definately some problem reading the drive but it could be some other part of the system failing causing read issues.  does the cd boot normally or do you notice any odd behavior booting off other media?
6
7 mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
8 --
9 God bless the rich, the greedy and the corrupt politicians they have put into office.   God bless them for helping me do the right thing by giving the rich my little pile of cash.  After all, the rich know what to do with money.
12 31. Dec 2017 00:44 by mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com:
15 > likely dying soon, or if you are lucky a key sector went out, if not the drive may be getting worse with every rotation.  If the drive is badly corrupted fsck can damage what is left.   definately DO NOT run fsck without knowing if the hardware has serious problems, also if part of it won't read don't try to long, drive electronics retrain themselves to some extent, trying to recover lost data can cause it to misadjust itself and work worse.  at least it's spinning, it's when the motor electronics suddendly die that you have real problems.  hopefully it's not a samsung drive (they have a classic tendency to die this way, i.e. spindle motor electronics die so platters don't spin).
16 >
17 > again however it could be the drive data/power cable.  anything else happen to it recently, i.e. new hardware added or swapped out?  is it an ata or a sata drive?  old/new drive/system?   hopefully it doesn't live near the heat vent......  if it's hotter than normal in the room it could be heat.  low humidity can also cause strange static related problems but they usually happen when you touch or stop touching the keyboard/mouse.
18 >
19 > if it's dry, definately humidify before working on the machine, worse case you can boil a couple of gallons of water on the stove to humidify it temporarily.   under dry conditions i've lost a mother board just from touching the power switch, in a room without carpeting, i was not happy.   also when doing electronics, try not to wear synthetics or other materials known for static (wool is way bad, as are things like silk, if it doesn't get wet easily (won't soak up water) it probably isn't static friendly).
20 >
21 > mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
22 > --
23 > God bless the rich, the greedy and the corrupt politicians they have put into office.   God bless them for helping me do the right thing by giving the rich my little pile of cash.  After all, the rich know what to do with money.
26 > 31. Dec 2017 00:28 by > thelma@×××××××××××.com> :
29 >> I boot-strap the system from CD and run:
30 >> fsck /dev/sda5
31 >>
32 >> got bunch of errors eg.:
33 >> Directories count wrong for group #1567 (1, counted=0).
34 >> Fix? yes
35 >>
36 >> Free inodes count wrong for group #1568 (8073, counted=8192).
37 >> Fix? yes
38 >>
39 >> Directories count wrong for group #1568 (1, counted=0).
40 >> Fix? yes
41 >>
42 >> Free inodes count wrong for group #1569 (8103, counted=8192).
43 >> Fix? yes
44 >>
45 >> Directories count wrong for group #1569 (7, counted=0).
46 >> Fix? yes
47 >>
48 >> Now when try to run it again I get:
49 >> fsck /dev/sda5
50 >> Segmentation fault
51 >>
52 >> Is this partition/drive gone?